Tuesday, April 5, 2011

Plein Air at United Water by Mary Beth Brath

April 4th, 2011 was an overcast but warm spring day. My husband and I decided to spend part of the day outside together. He fished in the Yellow Breeches and I set up my easel. We enjoy the area around the United Water Facility. Phillip is an environmental/civil engineer and I love painting landscapes on location. I have heard artists say "there is no color" on a day like this. I don't agree. This is one of my favorite times of the year to paint. My sketch is done in burnt umber with a very stiff short hair brush. I did not have time to tint my canvas yesterday. Usually I prime the canvas with burnt sienna mixed with gesso.
I only had about 2 hours to work. Before I leave a location, I try to have the painting completed enough to only make small changes back in the studio. Hopefully today I will touch up some tree structure issues and add my husband in with his fishing pole.

No comments:

Post a Comment