Monday, July 12, 2010

Downtown B&B in Mechanicsburg by Mary Beth Brath


Downtown B&B in Mechanicsburg
20x24" Acrylic on Canvas


This spring, my plein air buddies and I painted at a local B&B. I started it on site, took it into the gallery down the street where I work and continued to work on it there when I had a chance. I brought it home last weekend and put on the final touches and varnish.

Lately I have been in a few conversations about scenes that lack people vs. scenes filled with people. Many of my pieces are quiet with a little of the human element. I think this is due to the fact that my life is so packed with people and events that when I go out to paint for my own pleasure, I look for peace.

9 comments:

  1. This painting really turned out so well, Mary Beth. I like the mood that you set with your misty colors in the background. No people needed.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I recognized this house in Mechanicsburg instantly! I especially like the shadows that are cast on the house by the tree. Great work, Mary Beth!

    ReplyDelete
  3. It's an interesting conversation. Whatever motivates one to paint a particular scene will usually "shine" through in the work. Figures, for me, usually need the focus of a studio piece - pehaps I need to break free and attempt it more in plein air.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hi Mary, I feel the silence in the picture, but it also has secrets in it. The colour of the house gives the feeling that it's very special to the inside too. It's like a little novel. It makes me curious. Loveley. Bye, Lilian

    ReplyDelete
  5. That is such a wonderful comment Lilian. Thank you!

    ReplyDelete
  6. I love everything about this painting..the softness of the colors you used....the shadows on the buildings from the trees....beautifully done, Mary.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Thank you for the lovely comment. Today I am moving into my first studio that is located outside of my home. I will frame this painting this week and hang it at my new location. Very exciting!

    ReplyDelete