Saturday, September 15, 2012

Why Do I Paint? by Mary Beth Brath

Pinchot State Park (plein air)
5x7" Acrylic on Canvas
Sold

Hmm...Why do I paint?  Let me count the reasons...millions.

When I painted this scene at a local State Park in 2009, I was not alone.  My son John, then age 11,  sat with me on a blanket and we painted together. It was a wonderful day that I will never forget.

In 2011, a tragedy happened on the lake when a man drowned.  Someone I know tried to save him but it was too late. It deeply effected many people.

Last week, the wife and daughter of the man that passed away were at my gallery.  His wife bought the painting to remember how much her husband loved the lake.

Life moves so fast.  As an artist, I paint and paint and paint. Then I paint some more. It is very time consuming and leaves me mentally exhausted.  I could be getting a regular paycheck and paid vacations if I would just conform to the corporate world.

The thing is, I am an artist. Why do I paint? I must paint. It has been in my soul since childhood when my Mother sat and colored with me. I have many personal reasons that I paint, but when I realize that total strangers share in my paintings...that seems to be the ultimate purpose.  I have found the true reasons are much larger than myself.

2 comments:

  1. Beautiful painting, beautiful touching story, Mary Beth. It makes a person feel good when what they put so much time into, blesses someone else.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks for commenting Sunny. We all need a purpose. ;)

    ReplyDelete